When you want to achieve a dream, when you want to get from location in your life to another, it’s not difficult, it’s not impossible, it just requires a little work on your part. It may seem scary at first. It may seem like it’s impossible. But, when you develop a map to your success, the difficult and impossible, become easy and probable.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a step, says the old Chinese Proverb. A journey to your success begins with a map. Not just any map however. But a true success map!
It’s the first day of High School and you sit down in class and written on the board are two questions… “Where do you see yourself in 10 years?” and “Where do you see yourself in 20 years?” The idea of this is quite obvious, not only is it a great and revealing look at the students, it’s a very quick way to get the students to possibly begin thinking about their future, and hopefully, if they’re thinking about their future they’ll work harder in the present. However, in the end, this seems to rarely be the case. Teachers and other people are quick to say that students don’t know what they want, or that they change their mind (and these things do happen), but it’s not the only reason.
It’s because, setting goals for the future without setting goals for the present is like being a traveler without a map or a compass, you may have some vague idea of where you want to go, but you have no idea of how to get there. The unrealized nature of a goal set in the future does not form properly in a person’s mind, and much like a child pointing at a toy in a store, crying and yelling, “I want, I want, I want,” until an annoyed parent gives the child a piece of candy which distracts and sates the child from the toy, the person who sets a goal without a full realization of what that goal entails, will be sated by whatever life gives them.
With books and movies on the Law of Attraction being widely consumed, many people have begun to unlock the first part of truly effective goal-setting, and that is absolutely wonderful, but also it must be said, they too have only an incomplete version, and that’s why so many people are still waiting for that better life. Nonetheless, it is the first step to accomplishment, to achieving ones goals and dreams. If you have not done this, do it now… Write down exactly what you want your life to be like ten years from now. Don’t worry about it seeming impossible to achieve or unrealistic, especially at your current state. Reach deep down and pull out everything you want in your life and write it down, be as descriptive and as clear as possible. If you know what the carpets on the floor of your house will look like add it in. Make that world ten years from now as three dimensional and as real in your mind as your current life is right now. Make sure you answer these following questions: What house are you living in, do you have a family, a wife/husband, are you dating, what clothes are you wearing, do you work, where do you work, what car do you drive, how much money do you have, how much money do you make, are you happy, and most importantly, How Do You Act? (Are you confident? Are You Suave? Are you fearless? Are you charitable? Are you well spoken?)
Now that you’ve done that, it should be incredibly detailed, and a bit intimidating, at least if you did what was suggested and put down everything you want in your life onto the paper. But don’t worry, consider your life like a jungle gym in a box. Your vision should be the picture on the box, and your current state should be the two hundred pieces that just poured out of it. Now is time to write your manual so you can start assembling that perfect life. And that comes in a simple seven step process.
The reason this seven step process works backwards, is two-fold, one, when you reverse engineer something, you learn the steps and processes you’ll need to take to get there, you’ll know how the life is put together, how the pieces fit, and thus you’re not trying to build the life from scratch, but slowly disassemble and reassemble. The second reason is because people have a propensity of taking awhile to do these steps… when you reach the final step, that step is the moment everything begins, if that step was first, many would forget about it before they got to the rest of the list.
- In Seven and half Years and Five Years, What Will You Have Of The Future You Want And What Will You Be Doing To Get What You Everything You Want By Your Ten Year Goal? What Knowledge Have You Attained?
- In One Year What Will You Have of What You Believe You’ll Have in Five Years and What Will You Be Doing To Get It? What Knowledge Have You Attained?
- In Six Months What Will You Have of What You Believe You’ll Have in One Year and What Will You Be Doing To Get It? What Knowledge Have You Attained?
- In Three Months What Are You Doing To Get The Things You Imagine Having Six Months, One Year, and Five Years From Now And What Contacts Have You Made To Help You Get There?
- In One Month What Are You Doing To Make Contact With The People You Have Gotten To Help You On What You Want To Achieve and What Information Have You Gathered To Begin To Learn?
- In One Week What Information Are You Going To Be Collecting To Start Learning What You Need To Know To Accomplish Your Future and What List Of People Can You Begin To Assemble To Contact As Possible Mentors.
- Today, write down every book you think will be helpful, write down every bit of information you think you’ll need to collect, write down a list of no less than five, though possibly ten dream mentors you would love to have, whether or not you’ve meant them, talked to them, or made an impression on them. MOST IMPORTANTLY GO BACK TO YOUR FIRST PAGE, YOU’RE LIFE GOAL, AND READ OVER AGAIN HOW YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL BE ACTING AS THE FUTURE YOU, AND MAKE UP YOUR MIND TO BEGIN TO ACT THAT WAY TODAY.
It was said, “Act the way you want to be and you’ll become the way you act.” Now you might be a bit concerned that you can’t do it. How you saw yourself in the future, however, lays dormant in you today in the present and you must wake it up and begin to become that person. Start doing what the you from ten years from now would do without a thought. If you saw yourself as charitable be charitable, if you can’t spare a dime today, you won’t be able to spare a dime tomorrow. If you saw yourself as confident and able to speak your mind, act that way today, because however you saw yourself in the future, it will be that attitude that helped you get to where you want to be.
Now revisit every page you’ve written and read every detail for the next week and then return to it at the end of every week, taking note of your accomplishment, your schedule, and where you are today from where you were just a week ago. Every day, take thirty minutes of your time to write down what you’ve accomplished to your final goal and begin to watch your life unfold in front of you, and those two hundred small pieces begin to form your perfect life.